Re: RFC: obstack_mark() and obstack_release()

On Sat, 9 Jun 2012, Dimitrios Apostolou wrote:

> I don't have commit access to the GCC tree. What I can do is cross-post at
> both projects a mail with a brief list of differences. From a quick look,
> GCC's obstack has provisions to build on systems with old libc's, for example
> using bcopy() instead of memcpy() or missing stddef.h. I don't think these
> changes can be backed out.

Yes they can.  libiberty provides memcpy when needed, as does gnulib, and
both projects assume a minimum of a freestanding C90 compiler, which
implies the presence of stddef.h.

libiberty may have changes (to obstack or other files once imported from
glibc) for building with -Wc++-compat.  For macros in *headers*, any such
changes may be appropriate for inclusion in glibc.  For the C sources of
libiberty itself, I think building with -Wc++-compat was a mistake; it's a
C library providing C interfaces that may be used by both C and C++
programs, and C++ compatibility of the C sources in libiberty is
irrelevant to that use.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com