Re: ISO C11 issues for glibc

> strlcpy/strlcat long ago for that reason; you don't want truncation ever
> to happen, but they still help reduce the risk of some bugs, and glibc has
> traditionally included functions that are widely used in libc on other
> systems, which by now applies to those functions).

Not to belabor this particular issue, but a point of clarification that I
believe is accurate: glibc included functions that were widely used in libc
on other systems *that predated glibc*.  The addition of strl* functions to
BSD and other systems' libraries was certainly years after glibc was in
substantial use.  I can't think of any case where we've added a function
to glibc after glibc was already widely used just because some other system
had it, and where we didn't think that function was useful, let alone where
our opinion was that its presence would be actively harmful in encouraging
bad programming practice.

Thanks,
Roland