Re: How should STB_GNU_UNIQUE binding interact with RTLD_LOCAL ?

> For what it's worth, we've decided that we simply can not live with
> the current STB_GNU_UNIQUE behavior (and we do think it was
> ill-conceived).

I was not involved in its devising, and off hand I don't think the
discussion about it took place on this list.  (I avoid deep C++ nonsense
when I can, though I now know just enough about this issue to be curious
about its background, motivations, and drawbacks.)

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2009-07/msg01240.html is the earliest
thing I've found quickly that talks about the rationale.  If you think the
rationale is bogus, then you should take it up with Jason.  Since I'm
curious, you can CC: me.  But I don't think libc-alpha needs to hear all
that discussion.  We're just supporting what the C++ gurus have said they
need, and all we need to hear about here is if the consensus of C++ gurus
changes.

Thanks,
Roland