Re: X32 psABI status update

On Wednesday, March 16, 2011 08:39:57 H.J. Lu wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 10:24 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > so we get back to my original e-mail:
> >        are you getting a unique host tuple for this ?  or are you
> > extending x86_64-linux-gnu ?  so the only way of knowing which ABI is to
> > check for the output of the compiler+compiler flags ?
>
> As I said, the target is x86_64- linux-gnu and you just add -mx32 to
> CFLAGS. The x86_64- linux-gnu binutils and GCC support  x32.

ok, took long enough, but that answers most things.  your usage of "x32-"
prefixed binaries in the documentation seems to imply a lot more than the fact
you just picked those locally to avoid system collisions.  this isnt a wiki
page, otherwise i'd clean things up for you.

in looking at the gcc files, it doesnt seem like there's any defines setup to
declare x32 directly.  instead, you'd have to do something like:
#ifdef __x86_64__
# if __SIZEOF_LONG__ == 8
/* x86_64 */
# else
/* x32 */
# endif
#endif

any plans on adding an __x32__ (or whatever) cpp symbol to keep people from
coming up with their own special/broken crap ?  or are there some already that
i'm not seeing ?
-mike