RE: -fexceptions introduces ABI incompatibility of sorts (was: RE: Re[2]: [Gc] On cancellation, GC_thread_exit_proc is never called)

[Removed gcc mailing list, added libc-alpha]

Thanks, Ian.  That's a good observation that I had missed. Thus I think the conclusions are:

1) We still have the problem that e.g. Linux programs that are composed of libraries compiled both with and without -fexceptions may not work correctly, in particular a -fexceptions version of bdwgc (to enable C++ support) doesn't work with a plain C application calling pthread_exit() because the bdwgc cleanup code is not invoked.

2) I'm still not sure what the right workaround for us is, but it only seems to be needed on systems that have both glibc, and for which bdwgc is compiled with -fexceptions, which exists mostly on gcc.  Is it reasonable to undefine _EXCEPTIONS to force old-fashioned handling of cleanup handlers?  Will that work reliably if the application code used with the collector uses exception-based cleanup?  Do we need two version of bdwgc (and possibly other libraries) depending on exception support?

3) We seem to have a documentation/packaging issue, in that -fexceptions seems to be an all-or-nothing proposition for the whole application, but nothing that I can find states that, and libraries seem to be shipped with one or the other, and no documentation as to which one was used.  At a minimum, should the Linux description of pthread_cleanup_push state that reliable invocation requires that either -fexceptions is not in effect when the call is compiled or any call the pthread_exit() or pthread_cancel() must also be compiled with -fexceptions?  Is that statement even correct? If not, what is the correct statement?

Hans