Re: setproctitle()

On Sep 30, 2009, at 7:29 PM, KOSAKI Motohiro wrote:

PR_SET_NAME (since Linux 2.6.9)
Set the process name for the calling process, using the value in
the location pointed to by (char *) arg2. The name can be up to 16
bytes long, and should be null terminated if it contains fewer
bytes.

but it isn't correct.
PR_SET_NAME change thread name, but process name.

More unfortunately, it only change task->comm. not change arg[0].
Thus, some command display wrong name...
(ps can display both, switched by command line option)

So, we shouldn't use it.

16 bytes is also way too little.

Perhapls, I can make new syscall (or new prctl type). but I don't know
why the user want to change process title.
Do you have the any information?

Several programs already change it to display the current state of the process. I know sendmail and openssh at least do it already. I was also hoping to change my IMAP server to display some useful state, such as what IMAP command it's currently executing, or proxying processes could show how many connections they're proxying, etc. Then if system seems slow you could easily check with "ps" what the processes are doing.