(forw) [mathieu.desnoyers@polymtl.ca: Re: Userspace RCU libraryrelicensed to LGPLv2.1]

Same here, the CC list contained libc-alpha-owner@sourceware.org, so
the message was spam filtered.

----- Forwarded message from Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers@polymtl.ca> -----

Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 12:45:55 -0400
To: Steve Munroe <sjmunroe@us.ibm.com>
Cc: Robert Wisniewski <bob@watson.ibm.com>,
	Jonathan Corbet <corbet@lwn.net>,
	Dominique Toupin <dominique.toupin@ericsson.com>,
	Jake Edge <jake@lwn.net>, Jan Blunck <jblunck@suse.de>,
	libc-alpha@sources.redhat.com, libc-alpha-owner@sourceware.org,
	ltt-dev@lists.casi.polymtl.ca,
	"Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@linux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	Steven L Bennett <steven.bennett@us.ibm.com>,
	tech-board <tech-board@lists.linux-foundation.org>,
	Evgeniy Polyakov <zbr@ioremap.net>, zbrown@tumblerings.org
From: Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers@polymtl.ca>
Subject: Re: Userspace RCU library relicensed to LGPLv2.1

* Mathieu Desnoyers (mathieu.desnoyers@polymtl.ca) wrote:
> * Steve Munroe (sjmunroe@us.ibm.com) wrote:
> > Steven J. Munroe
> > Linux on Power Toolchain Architect
> > IBM Corporation, Linux Technology Center
> >

> > libc-alpha-owner@sourceware.org wrote on 05/14/2009 08:06:39 AM:

> > > used instead
> > on all
> > > >

> > > Hi Jan,
> > >
> > > As said Evgeniy, there is the compiler version issue, but in this case
> > > there is more :
> > >
> > > If we look at
> > > http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.1.2/gcc/Atomic-Builtins.html
> > >
> > > The instruction closest to an xchg() instruction (to exchange a pointer
> > > in memory) is :
> > >

> > > "type __sync_lock_test_and_set (type *ptr, type value, ...)
> > >
> > >     This builtin, as described by Intel, is not a traditional
> > > test-and-set operation, but rather an atomic exchange operation. It
> > > writes value into *ptr, and returns the previous contents of *ptr.
> > >
> > It seems like either:
> >
> > bool __sync_bool_compare_and_swap (type *ptr, type oldval type newval, ...)
> > type __sync_val_compare_and_swap (type *ptr, type oldval type newval, ...)
> >       These builtins perform an atomic compare and swap. That is, if the
> >       current value of *ptr is oldval, then write newval into *ptr.
> >

> >       The âboolâ version returns true if the comparison is successful and
> >       newval was written. The âvalâ version returns the contents of *ptr
> >       before the operation.
> >
> > would do the trick with __sync_val_compare_and_swap and simple while loop.
> > Most of the time a single iteration is all that is required and on PowerPC
> > is the same loop you would need for xchg().
> >

> Even on powerpc it involves extra unneeded branches and memory barriers.
>
> Re-stating part of my answer to Jan Blunck, the downside of using a
> CAS-based solution on many architectures is :
>
> - cache line exchanges increase (shared + exclusive access)
> - code size increase (read, extra branches)
> - execution speed decrease (extra branches)
> - adds unneeded memory barriers. Release semantic is part of the
>   __sync_val_compare_and_swap primitive, and, unless there is a scenario
>   I would be missing, seems unneeded for xchg().
>
> While I can see this as a temporary fall-back for architectures where a
> proper atomic primitive is not implemented, it does not strike me as a
> neat solution.

To outline the direction I plan to follow for the userspace RCU library
more clearly :

I think that given we need our own primitives anyway due to :

- atomic ops are not supported by old compilers
- lack of proper xchg primitive in gcc

And the simple fact that our own primitive would be better suited to our
needs than the existing gcc primitives anyway, I think we should not
bother trying to use gcc primitive and use our own in every case. This
would diminish the risk of having different behaviors with the library
being compiled with different gcc version. Using gcc primitives in some
cases would make testing and maintainance more difficult and bring no
gain in the end.

Patches to extend the userspace RCU code-base to include (ideally)
MIT-style or LGPLv2.1-compatible xchg() primitives and also
arch-specific memory barriers for other architectures are very welcome.
See arch_x86.h and arch_atomic_x86.h for the detailed list of required
per-architecture primitives. (note that get_cycles is only needed for
the test programs, not the library per se)

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers

----- End forwarded message -----