Glibc Installation

Hello,

Linux 4.5
64-bit
gcc 4.3

There seems to be some contradiction within the Install doc and FAQs
concerning the install location of glibc. One document indicates it's safe
to install at '/usr/local' and another document indicates it's not. The same
applies to the '/usr' directory. Which is it? Anyway, say I install to
'/usr/local/gblic2' and I want my gcc compiler to use the gblic2 library. Do
I just add this path to LD_LIBRARY_PATH or are there other things that must
be done. Appreciate any additional information. Thanks