Re: ld-linux and ld-funcs thoughts

On Wednesday 30 May 2007, sfora dim wrote:
> On 5/30/07, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 29 May 2007, sfora dim wrote:
> > >  Why does ld-linux and ld-funcs have to implement everything
> > > again and not use the BFD library (or maybe a trimmed version
> > > of it, so we won't waste memory and time on unwanted file formats) ?
> > >
> > > why do everything from scratch ?  just for efficiency sake ?
> >
> > isnt that enough ?
>
> But doesn't that makes it hard for maintainance ?

not really

> (every change or addition
> have to be inflicted twice, both in binutils (in ld or in a BFD backend)
> and in glibc (in elf/rtld.c or elf/ld*.c)) ?

the ELF spec isnt exactly fluid, it's a spec for a reason ... much of it is in
a finalized state.  any new features generally dont require large changes to
be supported in both places, plus the ldso merely needs to handle the ELF
things required for runtime while bfd needs to do a lot more.
-mike