Re: [ANN] Userspace M-on-N threading model implementation. Alpha release.

On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 10:40:42AM -0600, Chris Friesen (cfriesen@nortel.com) wrote:
> Evgeniy Polyakov wrote:
> >Hello.
> >
> >I'm pleased to announce initial userspace M-on-N threading model
> >implementation (for hackers) called NTL.
>
> If you haven't already, I suggest you look into the story of NGPT and
> also read the NPTL white paper
> (http://people.redhat.com/drepper/nptl-design.pdf) especially section
> 5.1 describing why they went with a 1:1 model.

Of course I read this, but it does not change anything.

NGPT had 2 times slower start time than NPTL, and NTL has 2-20 times
faster than NPTL, so I think NGPT had too major problems to get it
into comparison.

I described in details why and how M:N model better, and its drawbacks
include all issues mentioned by Ulrich Drepper, but nevertheless its
advantages are far too superiour than those which can be provided by 1:1
model.

--
	Evgeniy Polyakov