Re: Kernel header changes break glibc build

* Al Viro <viro@ftp.linux.org.uk> 2006-12-06 20:34
> On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 09:26:39PM +0100, Thomas Graf wrote:
> > * Al Viro <viro@ftp.linux.org.uk> 2006-12-06 17:13

> > > Where?  AFAICS, netlink might be considered type-safe only within an
> > > address family...
> >
> > The new interface can be found in net/netlink.h, it obsoletes the
> > old interface which is spread over linux/netlink.h and linux/rtnetlink.h
>
> ... and for different address families you have conflicting policies.
> You can't tell if ATTR_... means __le16, __be32, 16byte-array or something
> else - the answer depends on the code interpreting the damn thing.
> Moreover, you get zero warnings if you use wrong accessor to decode.

That's right, some attribute cary address specific content such
as addresses. By type safe I meant the API which no longer consists
of macros prone to errors. I didn't mean to say netlink attributes
are now type safe.