Re: Question on pid caching

Nevermind. Found the thread this time through google :I

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libc-alpha/2006-09/msg00004.html

Tymm Twillman wrote:
Is there a way to indicate to glibc that a cached pid should be tossed? Specifically, with the implementation of a remote fork (for a clustered system), we're finding bugs due to interactions with glibc becasue of the caching of process IDs. Right now we're seeing this if getpid() is called before the remote fork. The specific version of glibc we're working with currently is 2.3.4 as distributed w/RH4, though we'll need to keep things going with future versions.

Please note this is a case of a different implementation of fork() -- I'm not trying to get into discussions over whether pids should be cached, just want to know how to indicate to glibc that a cached pid will no longer be valid; preferably cleanly and reasonably transparently for folks using the clustering libraries.

Thanks,

-Tymm