Re: Why does iconv signal EILSEQ whith legal sequences (deviation from standard?)

> The GNU implementations of iconv() - those in glibc and in libiconv - prefer
> return in this case, like in the case of invalid input, with errno = EILSEQ.
> This gives the program that calls iconv() the opportunity to provide an
> arbitrary error handling or replacement character sequence. For example, the
> iconv program from GNU libiconv 1.11 will support these options:

> It is impossible for user-written programs to support similar options in an
> efficient way if the iconv() function behaves as specified in POSIX.

I agree and understand that.
Sometimes a standard can be just plain silly.
I wanted to know:
A: Whether this is a deliberate decision (obviously - YES).
B: Can we claim that the behaviour is compliant to the standard.

Personally - I understand the decision. Just wanted to make sure I understand
the standard correctly.

Do you know whether I can ask the OpenGroup for an opinion about the situation
(not that it should make you change the implementation)?

Kind regards:
al_shopov