Re: Why does iconv signal EILSEQ whith legal sequences (deviation from standard?)

>> If iconv() encounters a character in the input buffer that is valid, but
>> for which an identical character does not exist in the target codeset,
>> iconv() performs an implementation-dependent conversion on this
>> character.
>
> The GNU implementations of iconv() - those in glibc and in libiconv
> - prefer to return in this case, like in the case of invalid input,
> with errno = EILSEQ.

My interpretation is that this behavior conforms to the standard,
since the phrase "an implementation-dependent conversion" can be
interpreted to mean a conversion that rejects the character.  If there
is some dispute in this matter, we could ask for an official
interpretation where both sides could be heard.