Re: ABI freeze for GLIBC_2.4

> * long double type switchover for ppc, sparc32, alpha, s390, others(?)
>   Patches for this are around and need to be updated and merged, and I've
>   committed to helping with that soon.  Each and every architecture
>   maintainer should check that the long double type is defined in the most
>   desireable way on their architecture and that the gcc and glibc support
>   is aligned.  We will not be happy about doing this again later for other
>   machines.

I am not happy this part of the ABI freeze.  It is putting too much stress on
getting a GCC 4.1 compiler which has this change as GCC 4.1.0 was supposed
to be have been ABI (except for regression fixes) at the end of stage 2 which
ended April 25 2005, a long before this discussion to freeze glibc's 2.4 ABI
was decided.

Someone over in the glibc land should have send a heads up about this issue
long before the problem of getting a glibc 2.4 ABI freezen and GCC 4.1.0 was
even supposed to be released.  The glibc should have taken into account GCC's
release and maybe asked if this would be okay with them but there was none so
now there is caos in trying to patch GCC 4.1.0 before the release.

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski