Re: forestalling GNU incompatibility - proposal for binary relative dynamic linking

Edward Peschko <esp5@pge.com> writes:

> SuSE is incompatible with redhat, debian, fedora, etc. Redhat is
> incompatible with SuSE, debian, fedora, etc. And so forth. You need
> a lot of extra effort to make a cross-linux executable distribution.

I can easily install a Red Hat rpm on a SUSE system and it works.  And
the changes that SUSE applies do not break compatibility.  It's a
similar set that Red Hat applies.

SUSE's glibc passes the LSB testsuite, which tests binary
compatibility.

If you have any concrete problems with SUSE's glibc, tell me and I'll
take care of it.  But let's stop this discussion here.

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger, aj@suse.de, http://www.suse.de/~aj
  SUSE Linux Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 NÃrnberg, Germany