Re: info regarding porting Glibc

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 07:08:41AM -0000, srividhya vidhya arun was heard to remark:

> Hi ,
>       I am intrested in porting glibc current version i.e. 2.3.2 to HP-UX11i. I am doing this purely out of academic intrest and also because I was always intrested in system programming.

Are you sure glibc doesn't already run on hpux?  I'd be surprised if it
didn't.

> Is it possible to port a single feature of Glibc?

Well, you can 'stub out' with blank, no-op code the parts that you
don't want to port.

> i.e. Since I am a beginner, to make my task easy, and to gain confidence.
> if so what are the possible features that I can start with.
>
> OR
>
> Is it better to port the entire Glibc ?

you have to do 'all of it'. But ...
step 1 is to try to make it compile.  As you try to compile it,
you will discover what stubs are missing, and you will have to create
those directories and files.  Start with empty/minimal files.

Once you are done compiling, you will have a minimally usable
glibc.  It won't support thinking like dynamic library loading
until you port the hpux ABI over ... but one thing at a time.

> I have gone through the Glibc porting document and related documents on sysdeps directory at www.gnu.org site . This is like very brief. I want something more in depth so that I can start getgoing.
>
> Please I need this initial support from you so that later I can go on my own with less frequent assistance from your side.
>
> Waiting for your early reply,

--linas

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas@linas.org>