Re: Building binutils/gcc/glibc -

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Zack Weinberg wrote:

> Nope - as noted downthread, the "portable alternatives" are not
> supported by some systems we support.

What systems (bearing in mind the various deprecations - anything no
longer supported as a target surely doesn't need to be considered as a
build or host system for cross-compilers)?

We now require, among other tools, a C90 compiler, a POSIX shell and GNU
make to build GCC.  I think coreutils is pretty portable, so perhaps
requiring support for various options in the intersection of the 1992 and
2001 editions of POSIX is reasonable, given that systems with this
excessively strict interpretation of POSIX are unfortunately widespread
(current CVS glibc plus coreutils 5.0, but at least some distributions
have worked around the problem in one way or another).

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm@polyomino.org.uk