Re: Using GCC Bugzilla for glibc

> the offer below by the GCC Bugzilla masters is also valid for Glibc
> (confirmed privately).
>
> I have the following questions:
>
> - Do we want to make that move?

I think so.  The GNU gnats setup has been effectively useless for libc for
a long time now, and there is no sign of it getting any better.  If the GCC
folks are happy with their bugzilla setup, then that is good enough sign
for me that it will be worthwhile for us to use it.

> - Does the GCC Bugzilla meet our needs (see below for the restrictions)?

I honestly don't quite know what the details of "same or separate product"
being talked about are.  On the one hand, the GCC folks administering
bugzilla don't have anything to say about what procedures and policies we
use for glibc bugs.  I don't really see what providing the database service
has to do with how long our bugs remain unfixed or whatnot, either they
want to provide the database for another GNU project to use for its own
purposes or they don't.  On the other hand, whatever details of setup and
probably of policy that the GCC project uses are probably plenty sensible
enough for us as well, the goals and constraints of the two projects are
much the same.

> - Who likes to be responsible on handling glibc bugs?  Note we don't
>   need folks fixing bugs, but volunteers to verify reports, assign
>   them, close them, ask for more details...

Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> and GOTO Masanori <gotom@debian.org>
volunteered some months back to do some triage of the GNATS bugs.  That
never really happened, I think just because GNATS has been so screwed.

Perhaps these gentlemen would like to volunteer to help make a new glibc
bugzilla setup work well.

Thanks,
Roland