undefined non-weak symbols

Jakub,
   I've asked you this a couple times before but I don't think
I ever got a response (unless I missed it) and know some other
debian folks are interested in the answer as well. Awhile back
you told me that the warning issued from prelink of...

prelink: Warning: /usr/lib/libpstoedit.so.0 has undefined non-weak symbols

...indicates that these libs would be prelinkable (but that the not
in the most optimal fashion). I am wondering if these undefined non-weak
can be avoided by following any specific rules in how shared libs are
compiled and linked? Or is this more of a random occurance due to how
binutils decides to do the linking internally? Thanks in advance for
any information.
                                Jack