Re: ptrace for mips n32 and n64

On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 11:35:42AM -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> Yay.  Lots of code duplication.  I'm sure Uli will love this patch.
> :-/ Ok?  (the point being that ptrace must take as argument and return
> 64-bit values on n32)

Why must it?  Ptrace takes pointers as arguments, not register values,
in all the cases I can think of.  It returns words from memory, not
register values.  I can't think of any reason for it to take 64-bit
values.  It'll also be a tremendous headache, since you'll have to cast
any pointers passed to ptrace.

If it's being used from n32, it should take longs as arguments and
return longs.  Then the register values should be 64-bit.

Sure, there are issues with using an n32 debugger on an n64 program.
But I don't know if this is really the way to solve them.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz