Re: FreeBSD port (61): basic types

Bruno,
I've seen serious discussion of moving i386 to a 64-bit time_t in 5.0. I'm not sure if that work is going to make it in by release, but it seems to be the direction that they are going.

IIRC, the open question was whether they were going to add syscalls, or create a new syscall vector.

---Nathan

Bruno Haible wrote:
Here are the basic type definitions for the FreeBSD port.

Note: I made time_t a 'long int', because this is what most software
expects on 64-bit platforms, and it will avoid a big problem in 2038.
The conversion from kernel time_t to userland time_t (on 64-bit
platforms) is done in the gettimeofday, utimes, select etc. system
calls. On 32-bit i386 no conversion is done, of course.