Re: linux-mips build fix

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 10:56:24AM -0700, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> Franz Sirl wrote:
>
> > Has this shared loader fallback been removed? Damned, it was even
> > documented somewhere, but I can't find it right now.
>
> You must be confusing that with something else, perhaps weak symbols.
>
> Local symbols never appeared in the dynamic symbol table, never did.
> Look at
>
>     readelf -s <somebinaryordso>
>
> and compare the .dynsym and the .symtab sections.  The latter, if
> present, contains all the symbols, while the former only contains the
> non-local symbols (the only local entries are the SECTION "symbols" but
> this is just a GNU ld thing).  The .symtab table is not loaded at
> runtime (look at the program header) so there is no way it can be looked at.

For completeness, on some arches like IA-64 there are some STB_LOCAL symbols
in .dynsym other than 0 and STT_SECTION, particularly those which are used
for relocations. But they don't appear in .hash and are looked at only when
resolving particular local relocation (ie. never visible outside
of the library).

	Jakub