Re: es_AR locale patch

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 01:20:08PM +0200, Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:

> The problem this tries to remedy is, whether to use the "." as
> the thousands separator or not, in normal numbers. And I think
> that is a question of convenience. In money amounts I think it
> is more clear that it is convenient to use thousand separators,
> but in normal numbers I think it is very customary just to leave out
> the thousands separator.

I'm confused, are you talking in general or in the es_AR locale?  I
agree that in general most people leave out thousands separators.
However, this lets us define what to do when formatting is requested.

> My recommendation would be to keep the old dot-less notation for the
> regular numbers, but it should of cause be up to the Argentines.

This patch is in response to a bug posted for Debian's glibc
(#108373).  We've had this patch in our private repository for 13
months now, so it's well tested. =) My current quest is to get as many
of our private patches into upstream as possible, especially locale
fixes.  We've got some de_CH changes, and an Esperanto locale that I'm
trying to validate next.

Tks,
Jeff Bailey

--
learning from failures is nice in theory...
but in practice, it sucks :)