Re: libc_hidden_proto breaks things for PowerPC64

It seems reasonable enough to me to have a second pair of macros
libc_hidden_data and libc_hidden_weak_data if some platforms really need to
make the distinction.  There are very few cases of variables that would
need to be changed.  I don't see anything in configure.in that would define
HAVE_ASM_GLOBAL_DOT_NAME for powerpc64, so I presume you have that and
other changes to make your port work.  You can send in the changes for
libc-symbols.h and the data uses of libc_hidden_def along with the rest.

However, note that the data definitions are in C and the best way to make
this stuff work is to fix the compiler support on your platform.  The
compiler always knows the full details so as to emit the right things for
whatever kind of symbol.