Re: floating-point formats

> Ulrich Drepper <drepper@redhat.com> writes:
> > I don't agree with this at all.  Having one libc for all
> > architectures also includes providing comparable semantics which
> > means IEEE.  Nothing else is acceptable since you cannot run any
> > program unmodified.
>
> The company I'm working for will most likely want to use glibc without
> IEEE floats.  Do you mean that patches to do this would not be accepted
> by the glibc maintainers?

I don't really understand Ulrich's remark here.  The only cases that I was
talking about are machines where the native FP format is something other
than IEEE (e.g. Vax, PDP-10).  It doesn't make sense to me to attempt to
impose IEEE format on an ABI for such machines.  Any programs written to
run on that machine under an existing compiler/library will expect the
machine's native FP semantics rather than universally compatible IEEE
semantics.