RPC and IPv6

Hi,

I did a port of the NetBSD librpc (which is a port of ti-rpc from
Solaris 8 to a socket interface) to Linux. The reason is the IPv6
support for RPC. The license is nearly the same as for the current
sunrpc code from glibc. But somebody has to check if it is really
ok if we wish to include it in glibc.

I'm now in a state, where the communication between a rpcbind daemon
running on Solaris 8 and rpcinfo on Linux works over IPv6. But there
is still a lot of work to do before the code is really useable and can
replace the current one in glibc. rpc_broadcast() does not work,
most bug fixes from glibc needs to be ported and there is no
rpcbind for Linux.

If we wish that the new code should replace the current one from
glibc, we have the following choices:

- the new code replaces the old one complete. I cannot say in the
  moment if we are really 100% binary compatible. We should to the
  original RPC code, but in glibc we have some enhancements.

- let the current code for binary compatibility and only forbid to
  link against it, make the new code the default one. Means we have
  the code twice.

- let the current code in libc for compatility and add the new one
  to libnsl, like most other Unix do also.

You can find the current code, which creates a standalone libtirpc.so
and the rpcinfo binary, in
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/kukuk/tirpc/tirpc-20020519.tar.bz2.

You need an "rpcbind" entry for port 111 in /etc/services and a
/etc/netconfig file (look at the examples in the etc subdirectory).

  Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk       http://www.suse.de/~kukuk/        kukuk@suse.de
SuSE Linux AG        Deutschherrnstr. 15-19        D-90429 Nuernberg