Re: Problem with VMware 2.0.4 and glibc 2.2.5

On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 09:24:58AM -0700, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-04-10 at 09:06, H . J . Lu wrote:
>
> > It looks like glibc 2.2.5 changed the ABI for nice. Shouldn't we give
> > it a new version?
>
> No, we never do this for bug fixes.  If someone depends on a bug instead
> of reporting it they deserve what they get.

Is that what people get when they read the Linux man pages? On RedHat
7.2.93 (Skipjack),

# man 2 nice
NICE(2)             Linux Programmer's Manual             NICE(2)

NAME
       nice - change process priority

SYNOPSIS
       #include <unistd.h>

       int nice(int inc);

DESCRIPTION
       nice  adds  inc to the nice value for the calling pid.  (A
       large nice value means a low priority.)  Only  the  super-
       user   may  specify  a  negative  increment,  or  priority
       increase.

RETURN VALUE
       On success, zero is returned.  On error, -1  is  returned,
       and errno is set appropriately.

It is fine to fix the bug. But in this case, this "feature" is well
documented. You can't fix the bug by breaking the existing binaries
written according to the Linux man pages.

H.J.