Re: horrible disk thorughput on itanium

On 7 Dec 2001, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> Andreas Jaeger <aj@suse.de> writes:
>
> > This should be doable.  We could easily implement libio/putc.c as
> > follows:
>
> That's stupid.  Either you use putc_unlocked() as any sane person
> should in non-threaded code which then expands inline or you use
> __fsetlocking(FSETLOCKING_BYCALLER).  Just because people cannot
> program correctly doesn't require the implementation to fix their
> problems.

So says a truly conceited person.

Ask 99% of all programmers what "putc_unlocked()" even _is_, and they
won't know.

Look it up in any standard C book, and it won't even be _mentioned_.

Most people learnt about "putc()" from K&R.

If you can't make putc() go fast, don't complain about _other_ programmers
being bad.

Quite frankly, YOU are the programmer who is being bad if you make the
standard interface be slow, and blame it on others when people complain.

		Linus