Re: gcc 3.x test matrix

   Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 23:00:14 -0700
   From: "H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org>

   I disagreee. The whole idea of dlopening libgcc.so.1 is for future
   changes in gcc. If we have no ideas about what the impacts of those
   changes are, how do we know this scheme will work? There are many
   ways for gcc to provide the binary compatibility. I don't think it
   will work right if gcc and glibc don't work together from the very
   beginning.

The very beginning is GCC 3.0.1 (and apparently GCC 3.0.2 for
PowerPC).  IMHO, checking whether new versions of GCC will work right
with glibc should be part of the GCC release procedures.

That said, it doesn't hurt to somehow test mainline GCC, and I'll be
happy to include results in my test reports.  I just don't want to
increase the number of permutations that we need to test without a
good reason.  If glibc doesn't work with GCC 3.x, it's GCC 3.x that
needs to be fixed, not glibc.

Mark