Re: PATCH: Add __frame_state_for for gcc 3.0.1

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 12:48:48PM -0400, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 09:32:41AM -0700, H . J . Lu wrote:
> > I think the current gcc default to -shared-libgcc for DSOs and
> > -static-libgcc for executables. It is ok for non-C++/Java
> > executables. But -shared-libgcc may be needed for C++/Java
> > executables.
>
> Why? They'd be linked against libstdc++.so.3 or libgcj, which were compiled
> with the default -shared-libgcc.

I am talking about

# gcc -c foo.cc
# gcc foo.o

Why do I have to link against libstdc++ if I don't use anything
in libstdc++?

> > > I think the important part of the patch now is really the missing DW_EH_PE_*
> > > handling stuff.
> >
> > I can always abort -). Does it only happen when a pre-G++ 3.0
> > binary throw an exception inside libc.so?
>
> If just libc.so was compiled using GCC 3.0 in a pre-GCC 3.0 program and it
> throws an exception through qsort or the likes, it will abort. That's
> undesirable.

Well, any volunteers to add it?

> > Here is a minor update which exports _Unwind_Find_FDE and
> > adds the conditional support for gcc 3.0.
>
> The question is whether version of gcc glibc was compiled with should
> influence what symbols are exported from glibc. If it is possible, then fine

I don't know. Either way is fine with me.

> (but you probably could remove the %ifdefs from Versions file, if the symbol
> does not exist, glibc will not export it.

The resulting libc.map looks better with %ifdefs :-).

> If it should not, then we need to take gcc 2.95.x's frame.c and hack in _bases
> variants and _Unwind_Find_FDE access interface.

They should be only used for binaries compiled with gcc 3.0
on glibc compiled with gcc pre 3.0. How hard to make it to work
reliably? Is that worth the effort?

H.J.