Re: Changed shared library loading strategy on PPC, why?

Franz Sirl <Franz.Sirl-kernel@lauterbach.com> writes:

> Yes, I rechecked with old glibc rpms I have lying around and that was
> introduced somewhere between May 18 and Jun 6. I'm suspecting this patch:
>
> 2001-05-21  Jakub Jelinek  <jakub@redhat.com>

All this patch does is finding objects for given addresses.  glibc
nowhere forces a load address.

Run your new glibc with strace (start ld.so directly) and look at all
the mmap calls.  The first mmap call for every DSO must use NULL as
the preferred address.  The following calls (one on x86, I think two
on PPC) use fixed addresses.