Re: glibc 2.2.3 problems when compiling on RH 7.1

On 19 Apr 2001, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> "H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org> writes:
>
> > It is very tricky to install your own glibc on RedHat 7.1 since
> > it may have /lib/i686. You have to know what you are doing to
> > upgrade glibc on it.
>
> Which is exactly why I tell everybody for ages not to compile glibc
> themselves.  It requires far more knowledge then the average installer
> has and cannot be automated completely.  Simply go with the updates
> for the distribution.

Heh. Well, I've installed glibc manually since 2.0.6 on many Linux
installations (RedHat or otherwise) and this was the first time the install
really failed for me. I believe that's mainly because RedHat included a beta
version of 2.2.3 that had the extra symbol defined that is now not defined
anymore, and several libraries were compiled using that symbol. So I suppose my
alternative would be to 'nm | grep' out the libraries that contain that symbol
and recompile them manually to get the whole thing working again.

Until 7.1, I've never had a problem installing glibc on RedHat.

 -Byron

--
Byron Stanoszek                         Ph: (330) 644-3059
Systems Programmer                      Fax: (330) 644-8110