Re: CRIS port 8/8: doc updates

> From: Ulrich Drepper <drepper@redhat.com>
> Date: 08 Apr 2001 22:01:27 -0700

> - several files in sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/cris were using x86 files which
>   are there only for compatibility with pre-glibc 2.2.  Since 2.2 is
>   the first release supporting the configuration this isn't necessary.

It sure looked like they were live functions.  I'll have a look.

> - I've stripped the sysdeps/cris/Makefile a lot.  No system-specific
>   rules, you can keep them in your tree for development.  But there is
>   no need to have them in the official tree.

Oh, the install-headers-cris and disabled install-lib?  Sorry, I
should have pruned that.  Though using "make install-headers"
and "make install-lib" seems buggy; I haven't got anything else
but "make all" and "make install" to work usefully.  Hmm, I
should save that for a separate report when I've had time to
investigate it more thoroughly.

>   The main change is that I removed this -mpdebug stuff.  This won't fly.

Well, it won't fly *without* it at the moment.  Perhaps it
should've been added as a generic flag.

>   Either fix the assembler or modify the glibc macros to not cause
>   problems.

I didn't see how to fix the glibc macros easily.  I might have a
look at fixing the assembler, presumably how to merge the
attributes sanely.

> One more comment: which is the first kernel supported?

Hmm, good question, actually.  At least it's no earlier than
2.4.2, as mentioned in the documentation patches, but it might
also be 2.4.3.

> I guess it's
> some 2.4 version.  In this case you can remove a lot more of the files
> in sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/cris which are there only for compatibility
> with old kernels.

Thanks, I'll have a closer look at that.

> Regarding the Dist files, they will be OK.  I'll handle them the next
> time I'm making a release.

Thanks!

And thanks for the quick turnaround.  The fewer differences to
the FSF tree, the happier the local maintainer. ;-)

brgds, H-P