Re: Volunteer to rewrite string functions

Paolo Bonzini <bonzini@pc-amo3.elet.polimi.it> writes:

> I have rewritten the string functions strlen, strchr, strrchr, memchr,
> strcat, strcpy, stpcpy so that they all use a parallel algorithm
> (currently, the last three do not) and use a better one on little-endian
> machines (similar to that employed by the optimized SPARC versions).

Nothing like this will be accepted without performance data.  I very
much doubt that these will improve anything (actually, I expect it the
other way round).  Find out what the average distribution of string
lengths etc is and make up a test suite.  You'll most probably see
that all the startup costs are far too high.  This is especially true
for nonsense like MMX.