Volunteer to rewrite string functions

I have rewritten the string functions strlen, strchr, strrchr, memchr,
strcat, strcpy, stpcpy so that they all use a parallel algorithm
(currently, the last three do not) and use a better one on little-endian
machines (similar to that employed by the optimized SPARC versions).

If you accept the work, I will continue my work, creating optimized x86
assembly language versions.  Shall I go on or not?  If so, is this the
right place to publish the patch?  And is it fine to provide patches
against 2.2.2 rather than against the current CVS?

Another question: is there a subdirectory in which I could create MMX
versions?  i686 and i586 include, respectively, Pentium Pros and non-MMX
Pentiums.

I will submit an assign.changes paper to the FSF as soon as I get a
positive response.

Thanks in advance

Paolo Bonzini