Re: gconv bug and documentation deficiency

Ulrich Drepper <drepper@redhat.com> writes:

> Owen Taylor <otaylor@redhat.com> writes:
>
> > The bug:
>
> I've fixed this now.
>
> >  iconv() can exit with an errno of E2BIG for 2 reasons:
> >
> >   - The output buffer is full
> >   - An internal intermediate buffer is full
>
> Give me an example.  This should never be the case.  The internal
> buffers should at no point have visible effects.  If an internal
> buffer is full the next conversion in the chain is called to flush it.

Attached,
                                        Owen

#include <iconv.h>
#include <errno.h>
#include <stdio.h>

#define BUFSIZE 10000

int main (int argc, char **argv)
{
  char inbuf[BUFSIZE];
  wchar_t outbuf[BUFSIZE];

  iconv_t cd;
  int i;
  char *inptr;
  char *outptr;
  size_t inbytes_left, outbytes_left;
  int count;

  for (i=0; i < BUFSIZE; i++)
    inbuf[i] = 'a';

  cd = iconv_open ("UCS-4LE", "UTF-8");

  inbytes_left = BUFSIZE;
  outbytes_left = BUFSIZE * 4;
  inptr = inbuf;
  outptr = (char *)outbuf;

  count = iconv (cd, &inptr, &inbytes_left, &outptr, &outbytes_left);

  if (count < 0)
    {
      if (errno == E2BIG)
	printf ("Received E2BIG\n");