Re: fetchmail problem after upgrading to glibc 2.2

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 01:15:42AM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> > have changed in fetchmail, and since I got no replies I may be
> > the only one running in daemon mode with a dynamic IP and glibc
> > 2.2.
>
> Nope, I am running fetchmail in daemon mode, with a dynamic IP address
> (dhcp and ppp), on glibc 2.2. No problems here (fetchmail 5.5.3).

OK, so you're using 5.5.3, the version that worked for me with
glibc 2.1.3 (I used it 1 1/2 month). I have problems with 5.5.6
and 5.6.0. Should downgrade and see if it works.

> Sounds more to me like an upgrade problem doing a partial move
> to Slackware 7.1 devel.

Not really a partial move. I installed their security fixes
(there was one to a problem in locale with 2.1.3) and what any
user would (bin86 was ancient).

The only upgrade that could mess fetchmail was binutils. But
notice that I upgraded everything before compiling anything on
this machine.

> Note, I'm speaking from experience doing the same in Debian,
> but I don't know the specifics of Slack's upgrade methods.

I know. I lived on the bleeding edge with my old RedHat 5.1,
installing all sort of things from ftp://alpha.gnu.org/ and
CVS, but I'm not anymore.

> Did you actually recompile fetchmail? Maybe the db1/db2
> transition bit you on this one.

Yes, after the glibc upgrade (I built glibc, didn't tried
their packages from -current) I built fetchmail 5.5.6. I still
had nss_db and libdb from 2.1.3. But after 3 days I built the
new nss_db and db and rebuilt Exim. fetchmail 5.6.0 is for sure
linked with all new libraries. There are no traces of db1. db2
is /usr/local/lib/libdb-2.1.3.so (just in case I need it).

--
0@pervalidus.{net, {dyndns.}org} TelFax: 55-21-717-2399 (Niterói-RJ BR)