Re: Workaround for current gcc problem

    Ulrich> Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com> writes:

    >> Finally, in this particular case, we're hoping that to
    >> implement the right logic in GCC's string builtins so that we
    >> don't have to use the giant macros in glibc.

    Ulrich> This is no excuse for the compiler being broken.  From
    Ulrich> what I've seen every more than average complicated
    Ulrich> expression is causing problems.  Also, even if gcc would
    Ulrich> get the full functionality of the macros there are still
    Ulrich> old versions of the library and headers out there and
    Ulrich> people will have the problems.

I'm not making excuses.

Until this point in the release cycle, we've been focused on
functionality, not robustness.  As I said, that's changing now.  This
is a natural part of the development cycle; the CVS sources are not
expected to be production quality.

FYI, we've dicussed using fixincludes/specs to disable these macros,
even in old versions of the library -- assuming the builtins work
well.