Re: glibc 2.1.95 result

Ulrich Drepper writes:

> >     Workaround: "export LC_ALL=C" before "make install". This way,
> >     only the ASCII character set gets used, which is built-in, not in
> >     a module.
>
> Probably this is not enough.  One will also have to set LANGUAGE.

I don't know. For me, LC_ALL was enough. Anyway, can we please
document it in the INSTALL file?

2000-11-03  Bruno Haible  <haible@clisp.cons.org>

	* manual/install.texi: Recommend to set LANGUAGE=C LC_ALL-C during
	"make install", to work around a binary incompatibility between
	glibc 2.1 and glibc 2.2 gconv modules.

*** glibc-cvs/manual/install.texi.bak	Tue Sep 19 23:33:29 2000
--- glibc-cvs/manual/install.texi	Fri Nov  3 15:47:46 2000
*** 236,242 ****
  @cindex installing

  To install the library and its header files, and the Info files of the
! manual, type @code{make install}.  This will build things if necessary,
  before installing them.  However, you should still compile everything first.
  If you are installing glibc as your primary C library, we recommend that you
  shut the system down to single-user mode first, and reboot afterward.
--- 236,243 ----

! manual, type @code{env LANGUAGE=C LC_ALL=C make install}.  This will build