Re: Patch for undefined behaviour in gcc

Ulrich Drepper wrote:-

> > Here's a patch to get rid of these warnings.  Ok, to commit?
>
> I don't like this a bit.  They are once more removing very useful and
> currently well supported functionality.  If I'm not asking about
> warnings for standard compliance I don't want to see warnings like
> this.  Glibc cannot compiled without gcc so it is perfectly fine to
> use gcc features.  And we already do.

Ulrich,

Nothing is broken.  Behaviour is the same as before, with the addition
of a warning which is appropriate.

Other parts of GCC warn about undefined behaviour, and behaviour that
varies across compilers.  Not everyone wants to commit themselves to
using GCC 100%, and they want to know what might break portability.

You might not care, but others do.  If you don't want the warning,
don't use the undefined behaviour.  I think this is quite fair.

Neil.