SHA-1 in libcrypt

I sent this email once before and it bounced, so here it is again.

I've been wanting SHA in libcrypt for a while now, and I noticed some talk about it on libc-hacker.  Is anyone working on it, and would it make it into 2.2 if someone did?  I know that SRP (Secure Remote Passwords) uses SHA or MD5 for it's /etc/passwd replacement, and OpenLDAP also supports SHA.  I'm surprised OpenBSD doesn't support it currently, but they probably would if we started using it.  I know that $1$ is being used for MD5 and $2$ is used for blowfish in OpenBSD, so I assume $3$ is free and would be used for SHA.  If nobody is working on this currently, is there anyone here with hash algorithm implementation experience?  If not, I may try this for my own system and submit a patch when I'm done.  Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

--
RoboHak             RoboHak@protovision.org | RoboHak@mediaone.net