Nonbreakable space

Hello,

we had an interesting discussion on the local mailing list
regarding the nonbreakable space character in the locale.

In the XFree distribution's keyboard mappings there is no
easy way to enter the nbsp, with an exception of canadian
map and some wild compose sequence in 8859-1 and -15.
One user wanted to add such possibility to our maps.

We investigated further and found that the nonbreakable
space is _not_ marked as "printable" in any of the locale
LC_CTYPE definitions. It is marked as "space" in many
of the locales, but not in all of them (e.g. en_NZ,
en_ZA and nearly all of es_*). It is not marked as "blank"
in any of them (glibc 2.1.2 as of RedHat 6.1).

To add more to the mess, czech and slovak locales use NS
as thousand-separator (and I am nearly sure that at the
time we made the locale, there was at least one more
that used NS).

Is there some info available describing "the right way"
of handling this character?

Regards
--
                                        Stano