Re: RPC IPv6 breaks binary compatibility

On Tue, Jan 25, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@suse.de> writes:
>
> > As far as I can say, no program allocates memory for SVCXPRT,
> > it is only a handle for RPC. But some program derefence the
> > pointer to get the response verifier. This now fails because the
> > data is stored on another adress.
>
> But this will be broken anyway.  If we move the new element to the end
> and let the old socket struct in place, at least for IPv6 connections
> accessing the structure won't work.  Why do programs have to access
> this struct anyway?

Because a RPC server needs to know from which client the request come
(for access controlling) and which verifier the client
uses (AUTH_SYS/AUTH_DES) or the server need special information
about the client from the verifier field like the UID on the
remove host ?

There are a lot of reasons to access this fields, and it will be
used very often.

  Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk       http://www.suse.de/~kukuk/       kukuk@suse.de
SuSE GmbH            Schanzaeckerstr. 10            90443 Nuernberg