Re: [Various] libc/1468: [50 character or so descriptive subject here (for reference)]

From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@suse.de>
Subject: [Various] libc/1468: [50 character or so descriptive subject here (for reference)]
> We received the appended bug report.  I can reproduce the german
> example - but I'm not sure whether this is a subtile glibc bug or a
> usage error.

It's only usage error. Not glibc.

I tested it, and found that this bug is occured by lack of statements
in Makefile/Makefile.in generated by configure.
the command of generated-"Makefile/Makefile.in" and "configure" is old,
so "datadir" and "DATADIRNAME" is not defined. As a result,
-DLOCALEDIR=\"/usr/local/lib/locale\" is automatically set.
So when gettext searches localedir, but there is no locale data.

If you (Mr.Inoue) want to run correctly, type in the src dir
like:
	make datadir=/usr/share
(I assumed locale dir is /usr/share/locale/).

This bug should be resolved quickly by GNU sharutils upstream maintainers.
# I want to fix, but I don't know how to report, not know to whom
# be reported.

Original report said:
> My locale.alias file contains a line which makes ja to be an alias name=
>  of ja_JP.eucJP.  I recently change locale
> data directory from ja to ja_JP.eucJP since your glibc seems to use thi=
> s locale name.

POSIX 1003.1 said that LANG environment is designated as:
     <language>[_<territory>][.<character-set>][,<version>]

It seems that the location of .po data should prefer ja to ja_JP.eucJP.

In addition, sharutils has ja_JP.EUC.po.
It, however, should change ja.po, IMHO.

-- GOTO Masanori