Re: FTP site for crypt code

    Geoff> You need to re-read the actual regulations.

Hm, looks like, apparently.

    Geoff> clause you're looking for is CFR 740.17 (a) (3) (ii):

That's right, I thought I was referring to that.

    Geoff> paragraph (c) of this section). The commodity or software must not
    Geoff> allow the alteration of the cryptographic functionality by the
    Geoff> user or any other program.  Encryption chips, integrated circuits,
    Geoff> toolkits and executable or linkable modules are not authorized for
    Geoff> export under the provisions of paragraph (a)(3).

I only read "Encryption chips" and ICs; "Toolkits and [...] modules" escaped
my attention. Anyone who wonders how that can happen is encouraged to read
the whole Register entry in all of it's beauty :-)

    Geoff> Since the GNU C library is, by definition, a toolkit and/or a
    Geoff> linkable module, and it most certainly allows the user to alter
    Geoff> its functionality, it would not be permitted to be exported under
    Geoff> this licence exemption.

Obviously, yes. -- Sigh -- Sometimes I wonder how many working hours
world-wide are wasted by this silly regulation. Hopefully the Wassenaar
treaty will ease our work; it promises to free "software in the public
domain", which in their terms includes BSD and GPL copyrights. Let's wait
and see.

Thanks for the correction.

	Torsten