Re: linux paths.h

On Fri, 5 Feb 1999 22:50:31 -0500 (EST), Wesley Morgan wrote:
>I noticed recently that _PATH_MAILDIR under linux has been changed to
>/var/mail. I was under the impression that it was /var/spool/mail, just as
>quite a few programs seem to expect. Is this considered the new standard?
>I see in the changelog it is... Someone should put that into the FAQ, as
>it caused me a small headache upgrading sendmail and may bite a few
>others.

The new FHS says /var/mail is the canonical location.  It was changed for
closer compatibility with most commercial Unixes.  This has been highly
controversial, and may change again in the future.  If you have lots of
programs expecting /var/spool/mail, change it back.  Or you can put in a
symlink.

zw