Linux vs. libio

Folks --

  Does anyone know how, on Linux, to build the libio (in CVS with GCC)
in such a way as to be entirely disentangled from the C library?
(Except in the ways that libio would normally be entangled with the C
library on any non-glibc system.)

  In particular, we're working on the new C++ ABI.  That requires some
changes to libio to deal with different class layouts, etc.  That's
mostly working, but the stdio functions in glibc have a bad tendency
to call functions in the modified libio as callbacks, and those
functions now behave differently than glibc expects.

  In other words, what I'm looking to do is to have two distinct,
disentangled, copies of libio: one in libc, to handle stdio, and one
in libstdc++ to handle iostreams.  How can this be done?

  Thanks,