Re: glibc 2.1.2pre3

> From: minyard@acm.org
> Date: 08 Sep 1999 22:30:00 -0400

> Geoff Keating <geoffk@ozemail.com.au> writes:
>

> > Tell them not to do that, just like they shouldn't declare a function
> > select().
>
> select() is a little different than data_start.  The names they can't
> use need to be well defined and portable.  Someone using Solaris, for
> instance, might name something data_start and that would be ok.  Now
> come to Linux and it breaks something.  That is a bad situation.

Hmmm.  What name does Solaris call this?  I bet it's not
'__data_start'.  'data_start' is, of course, a GNU extension.

In fact, I can't find any symbol in gcc's crt1.o for Solaris.

> Plus the x86 version has __data_start and it is used by at least one
> program, so we are hurting portability again by not having it.

Another way of looking at it is that the x86 version is hurting
portability by letting people use __data_start :-).  Uli, want to
delete it for 2.2?

--
Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@cygnus.com>