Re: glibc 2.0.96

[Ulrich Drepper]
> I've uploaded to ...  the nest pre-release for glibc 2.1.  ...
> Please tell me whether it is working for you or not.

  I had to use gettext-0.10.35 (previously using gettext-0.10) to get
it to be happy with msgtxt, despite it's `configure' comment.  That caused
some fallout in other packages but is unrelated to glibc.

  Of course, glibc-2.0.96 caused much (documented in Changes) fun with
gnu/getopt() and long options and various software packages.  Other than
that, everything seems pretty happy (up from my glibc-2.0.95 homebrew
system).

[by-tor@by-tor.bitchx.com]
>  linux 2.1.122, egcs cvs snapshot from sept 19...
>  compiles fine with no errors. make check is fubar'd with internal
>  compiler errors on some floating point stuff... Goes for about
>  10 seconds :).  The usual libstdc++ problems, rebuilt egcs from
>  (newer) cvs again and works fine but groff is still hosed for some
>  reason. Good thing I've got a lot of info pages.

  I didn't have any problem with egcs-1.1b & libc-2.1.122.  I tend to
compile my entire homebrew distribution with -O2, and I've seen problems
(in the past, against -2.0.95 but I couldn't test against anything
earlier) with some programs using that and had to drop down to -O to get
them to compile without bailing.  I didn't have any problems with groff
(-1.11a) that I've noticed.

  I usually don't run the tests.  If the entire system lasts the ~5 hours
to compile everything with everything, it passes my linus-test.  (:

								--- john